The holiday season probably emptied your wallet, right? You’ve vowed to not spend any more money again…until you see a colleague with the latest and greatest phone, or a new briefcase, or anything you forgot to gift yourself over the holidays.
We’ve all been there. But at DLE Court Reporters, we know that a lot of routine, normal workplace stress can be reduced greatly when your financial life is in order. If your priority in 2018 is focusing on a financial diet and modifications to ease your career progress, we’re focused on the same issues.
Here’s how our team is handling business:
- Assess your starting point. Review your savings, debts, and investments. Yes, it’s stressful, but this honest look at your financial health is key to setting your goals for the year.
- Set a budget. Spoiler alert: This is only the first step. You have to stick to that budget, too. This may mean no more pricey lattés whenever you crave one. Or, it may mean you make do with your perfectly good equipment – and briefcase – for a few more months.
- Track your spending. This keeps even the most impulsive among us honest about what’s going out and what’s coming in. It’s as simple as keeping a spending journal, or even following an app’s guidance.
- Understand it’s going to be painful. Painful, but so very worth it. It’s a fact that professionals who have their finances in order are the most disciplined and attentive to details. It’s why it’s a priority for us at DLE Court Reporters, and why it should be important to you, too.
- Establish an emergency fund. Some call it a slush fund. Whatever works for you! The point of this fund is to be able to cover two to three months of expenses in case of an emergency. It’s one of the best ways to protect your budget.
- Get help. Rely on professionals to sort out your retirement plans and to review your investment accounts. Both will be very much appreciated when the time comes to benefit from them.
So make 2018 your best year ever, both professionally and financially. You’ll be surprised by how much energy and creativity you free up by getting a tight hold on your financial goals and habits. As our DLE Court Reporters clients know, our team is full of high-energy, creative, hard-working professional in the legal services support industry.
Must be all those lattés we’re skipping! Luminex, we’re coming for you.